Sunday 1 August 2010

Day 12 Inverness to Pitlochry

Wednesday 28th July - 92.59 miles

It's the unexpected kindnesses that help things along on this ride. When I came down to collect Lightning in the morning I found some bags full of cupcakes tied onto the handlebars. They were a very welcome sight as it was going to be a long day today.

Set out to a murky morning. Through the outskirts of Inverness and onto the main A9 road. Just a short spell on the main road before heading off onto side roads which were clearly marked with National cycle route signs. Much better than being on the A roads.

Whizzing through mossy woods and heather moorlands. Running along next to the trainline for most of the day. Went through Carbridge and stopped to see the famous bridge - if like me as a child you read the Narnia books by C S Lewis, the bridge reminded me of the drawing By Pauline Baynes of the Giants Bridge in Ettinsmoor in 'The Silver Chair'. Maybe that is where she got her inspiration from. Passed through Schlod (highest road point at 1328ft above sea level) on an off road track, all the way into Aviemore for tea and cake break. Cruising along quite nicely so far. Followed the national cycle path to avoid the main roads and wen through some lovely woodland paths. Unfortunately I hit my midmorning low point (seems to be happening with increasing frequency) and was bimbling along with my thoughts running very much along the lines of how life was just a futile struggle for no apparent reason. Oh dear, time for some chocolate/food/sugar... stopped for a break just outside of Kingussie and after some fruit/nut mix with a good helping of chocolate I felt much better. It is amazing how many calories I must be getting through and I need to keep an eye out for the midmorning wobbles as that is a sign that I need to sugar up and quickly.

Followed the offroad path from Kingussie - got overtaken by someone on a mountain bike on one of the twisty bridges (didn't even know he was there until he wobbled past me) but caught him up on the straight bit and fly by. Lightning doesn't like to be overtaken by mountain bikes and tends to encourage me to show them who is the boss!! If only everthing and everyone in life could be as reliable as Lightning. Unlike some, you only have to ask the once and she delivers every time. And to think someone suggested I should get a new bike for this trip as he didn't think she was good enough...oh ye of little faith.

Stopped for lunch and had a long chat with another cyclist who was heading towards Inverness. I am always fascinated to see how other people load up their bikes with panniers and the like - he had gone for panniers front and rear and the arrangement seemed to be very well thought out. I recommended the trail that I had followed from Inverness rather than the main road and wished him best of luck.

I took the offroad trail to Pitlochry which was much better than trying to take the main road, and at this point Lightning proved herself every inch the noble steed. The track rapidly became an off road trail more suited to a mountain bike, but fully loaded Lightning still fought her way through. It was very much the case of letting her find her own best way over the loose stuff. She wasn't happy but no hissy fits or punctures - way to go Lightning.

Eventually we got to a smoother track and Lightning felt the need for speed so we flew along for a bit at about 25 mph. That'll shake the dust off.

Feeling rather sore and tired as I rumbled into Pitlochry. Had been a long and testing day (off road with panniers on a road bike is hard work). As I came through the main high street I saw a couple of people waving at me and was delighted to recognise the lovely Anne Thompson who I stayed with when cycling from Lands End to John O'Groats 3 years ago. She had come up to Pitlochry to meet me with the highly entertaining Alec - oh but that man has a brilliant sense of humour. Now Anne is an inspiring lady: having worked for many years in the banking sector in the UK she decided to travel to Zambia with VSO. You know how you can just tell that someone would be a brilliant volunteer - highly intelligent, lots of amazing skills built up over a lifetime of hard work, but most importantly vital with energy and one of the most thoughtful people I have had the pleasure to meet. She has written a book about her experiences - the aptly named 'Wash my Bikini' (very close to a Zambian phrase but the mistranslation kind of sticks). It was a delight to spend the evening with such a wonderful pair - good food, fascinating conversation (and a bit of singing...well, we did have wine) and I was feeling very much refreshed and reenergised.

No comments:

Post a Comment