Tuesday 20 July 2010

Day 4 - Larne to Carrickfergus and on to Cairnryan

Awoke after a very good nights' sleep. Oh I needed that!!!

The lovely landlady asked me to put the cost of the room into my Sense collecting tin - what a way to start the day. Headed off to Carrickfergus - legs feeling a bit rusty but it is due to be a 'rest day' of sorts so not too many miles to fit in. Met up with Leah near Carrickfergus castle and she directed me to the Sense day centre.

How to describe my first impressions of the day centre - best way I could describe it was warm and welcoming. Everyone was so friendly, and I don't think I have seen quite so many smiling faces in a long time.

I met up with the two Sense service users who were brave enough to come and try out one of the tandem bikes on the Carrickfergus seafront promenade. I have to say that George and Dominic have really made me think what it means to take on a challenge: my current challenge is mostly about me pushing the boundaries of my own endurance whereas these guys impressed me beyond words today by the way they were prepared to 'have a go' at cycling. Firstly we had Dominic on the rear of the tandem with Billy as his 'driver' at the front. No signs of fear, no hesitation, just trust in the guide and off you go. My sight when I am on the bike is the primary sense that I rely on so to cycle without being able to see is something I find it hard to imagine: I can't tell you how inspiring it was to see someone without sight enjoying the sport I love and the grins on both Dominic and Billy's faces said it all. Next up was Leah as driver with George on the back. Now George is someone who radiates positive energy and cycling was no exception. If you have the human dynamo who is Leah on the front of the tandem it must seem like anything is possible but I wish I could be as fearless as George when it comes to trying new things. They do say there is nothing to fear but fear itself but try telling yourself that if you are on a tandem being controlled by someone else at the front...

We had our photos taken by someone from the local paper - it was a new experience for me but Billy, the resident media expert, was on hand to show us how it is done. I got the chance to read the newspaper story about Billy's transition from being a soldier stationed in Afghanistan to working for Sense and it was interesting reading. After our brush with fame we headed back to the Sense daycentre for lunch. Hope the soda bread turned out to cause a positive media frenzy...Leah kindly gave me a tour of the centre after I watched Stephanie making sodabread. It is amazing to see all the photos of the activities that the deafblind people have tried - caving, rock climbing, helping out in a riding stables, working their allotment to name but a few. I am learning new things about the variety of things that Sense can offer every time I visit a new Sense Centre and I think the Carrickfergus centre has definitely made me think more about what deafblind people can do. If I am having a tough day whilst on the bike I will just need to think of George and Dominic on the tandem today and I am sure to get a boost.

I have to say a huge thank you to everyone at the centre for the good luck card and gifts I was given - my good luck shamrock will have pride of place in my bike rack bag to watch over Lightning and me. I think I will have to find one of my sealable plastic bags to keep the card clean and dry as it will be a reminder to me as I go to think of everyone at Carrickfergus wishing me well (everything is slowly getting covered in bike grease unless sealed in a bag and I would love to keep the card as a momento from meeting such inspiring people).

To cut a long story short (and so I can head to bed before too long...), I headed back to Larne and then took the ferry over to Cairnryan. I am sorry to be leaving Northern Ireland as I have had such an amazing time there, but Scotland here I come. Staying at Rhins of Galloway in Cairnryan - oh its a treat and no mistake, I have just watched an amazing sunset and am looking forward to reading up a bit more of the fascinating history about this place. Paul, my extremely welcoming host, has been an absolute star and I am looking forward to having a mug of hot chocolate and a biccie before heading to bed.

Oh just a little trip up to Glasgow tomorrow. Should be about 85 miles (ish) but I have been underestimating so far...

Billy and Dominic
Leah and George
Leah and I

1 comment:

  1. Well done Yvonne! You are doing so well....can't wait to cycle with you in a couple of weeks - Hope I'm not going to slow you up! Helen x

    ReplyDelete