Friday 23 July 2010

Day 7 Ballachulish to Drumnadrochit

Try typing Drumnadrochit or indeed Ballachulish at speed after drinking a rather fine half pint of beer...

Day started out a bit cloudier than yesterday but headed out after a lovely breakfast at the Parkview B&B. Back on our old friend the A82 all the way today. Coasted along nicely to Fort William along the shores of Loch Linnhe, skirted the town and then stopped for a break on a rather fine cycle path overlooking the footslopes of Ben Nevis. Ben Nevis was feeling a little camera shy today so was hiding behind some low cloud (don't be shy Nevis, you look fabulous...). Headed out of Fort William on one of the best cycle routes I have been on in ages - newly laid tarmac so glass smooth, off road...such a shame it ended so quickly (isn't that just the way, they say all good things must come to an end). Cruised into Spean Bridge and then stopped at the Commando's memorial after a bit of a slog uphill (heck, if the Commando's saw this area as their training ground then having to resort to the granny gear to get up a hill seems perfectly valid).

Stopped for scones with cream and extra fruity strawberry jam at the Hotel at Letter Finlay. Oh but it was good. Tempted to just stay on the patio, drinking tea, eating more scones and looking out over Loch Lochy (I reckon they had run out of names by the time they got to naming that one...) Got back on the bike eventually and from this point on it wasn't my finest hour (or hours more to the point). I think I was so keen to get going and also so enjoying the lovely ride along the banks of the lochs that I had racked up another 25 plus miles before I realised it and hadn't stopped for lunch. I was given wise words of advice by a cyclist from the St Albans cycle group which was never to wait until you are hungry to eat when distance cycling, and if you wait until you are thirsty to drink then you have definitely left it too late. I was feeling very tired on the bike by the time I got to Invermoriston, and lunch was not as restorative as it should have been. Felt very hard work on the last 13 miles or so to Drumnadrochit and I devoured the biscuits in my room in double quick time! Am staying at the Benleva Hotel and have kindly been leant the use of a computer to update my blog as my IPhone is struggling with the WiFi. I have had a sneaky peek at their extensive draught beer selection (and indeed have a half pint sitting next to the computer) so tonight is the time for fortitude as cycling with a hangover (and I am lightweight champion of ol' London town when it comes to hangovers) is a very very very bad idea. Do you hear that Von? Put the beer down. Well maybe just this half...

Tomorrow sees the push on to Helmsdale before the big push to Dunnet Head/John O'Groats and back in a day on Sunday (I'm going out and I maybe some time...). Am hoping that the traffic will be less on Sunday (I remember fun with quarry lorries last time I rode that stretch) which is why I timed the route accordingly. Am staying at the same place in Helmsdale for 2 nights which means I will be pannier-less for the long trip. Cheating, you say? About time, I say.

Oh it's time for dinner. One of the best times of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment