Wednesday 21 July 2010

Day 5 - Cairnryan to Glasgow

What a day - it was amazing how I could go from a real low point to one of the best high points in a day!

Started out with an amazing breakfast - Paul at Rhins is a man of many talents. I like his taste in furnishings (I will have to come back to see the big room when it is finished as I am liking the way it is starting out), the man can cook a mean breakfast and he even made me a bacon toastie for the road. Hope the dog gets better soon, Paul (rescue dog that has had a recent op for a slipped disk).

On from Cairnryan along the coastal road. Now I had thought I might have some fun and games with the HGV lorries that came off the ferry, but I have to say they were extremely considerate drivers in the main - the more risky drivers were the LGV/White van man types and car drivers.

Was hoping to push the speed a bit today as I wanted to get to TouchBase in Glasgow (Sense Scotland's head office and so much more...more later) as early as possible. I had wanted throughout this trip to meet up with as many service users and Sense people as possible so I was really trying to push on with the miles today. It was for sure a case of 'fighting for every mile' today, and at times I was whizzing along at an average of about 16MPH. Unfortunately there were a few hills on the route which slowed things down, but I was looking to make good time. Travelled along the coastal road which I am sure is stunning but it started to rain fairly early on in the day...out with the dayglow kit!! Unfortunately it was also quite a muggy day so I am not sure whether I was as wet inside the layers of waterproofs from sweating as the outside was from the rain. Pushed on to Maybole on the A77 - had started out nice enough but the traffic got heavier and faster (possibly to match the rain?). Not much fun and I did start quiet swearing which got louder and louder everytime I got caught in the swoosh of a vehicle whizzing past me. It was my delight to find the turning for the A197 which was a much quieter road. Having negotiated the roundabout to join the A197 I was just saying to myself how lovely and quiet it was when a jet plane roared noisely overhead on its final landing stages for Prestwick Airport. Not often I duck on the bike...

Headed along to Galston and then through Moscow (no, my navigating isn't that bad, there is a Moscow on the way to Glasgow. On joining the A77 which runs alongside the M77 I was delighted to find a designated lane for cyclists. This soon became a real necessity as it started to rain so hard I could barely see where I was going, and the spray from vehicles on the other side of the concrete barrier looked nasty!!

Into the outskirts of Glasgow and trying to keep the spirits up from the downpour by singing a medely of Proclaimers songs. Tough going especially when the brilliant cycle way became the usual kind of cycleway blocked by parked cars and with a very bumpy road surface. Hit some nasty potholes (never good when you hear the sound of the metal part of the wheel grounding) that were concealed by all the water lying around. Just keep going, just keep going. Feeling pretty cold, shakey and generally a bit on the low side at this point. Flooding quite bad in Glasgow city itself which adds an extra element of fun to playing chicken with buses and taxis.

Called Andy at TouchBase to say I was on my way as a hint to get the kettle on!! Oh ye of little faith Vonnie. Managed to get myself to Kinning Park and was looking out for Middlesex street/Milnpark street. Noticed some people hanging about outside a building - bit wet for loitering? But then someone started waving when he saw me and I saw the Sense Scotland sign. Well, I have to say the welcoming reception was just amazing. The Sense Scotland staff from Touchbase were down in the reception to welcome me and trust me, if you are soaking wet and freezing cold then nothing quite lifts the spirits like a rousing round of applause. HUGE THANK YOU to everyone who came down to wish me well - I am so grateful and it made the soaking seem worthwhile (but if you could put in a request for better weather for the coming days I would be grateful - the reception staff were so efficient I reckon they could sort it for me...). Hopefully I will be able to put up a picture of the well wishers (plus a soggy Vonnie) soon. Did I mention there was tea and cake, and a towel, and a chance to sit down in the warm? Oh luxury...just what I needed. Realised I was a bit shakey from the cold and the sugar low, but the fanastic cakes (of which a supply was bagged up for me for tomorrow) and tea soon sorted me out. Also became the proud owner of a Sense Scotland t-shirt (and I shall wear it with pride!!). THANK YOU to everyone who gave me such a welcome and for all your kind words of encouragement.

I had a tour of Touchbase from none less than the Sense Scotland Chief Executive, Gillian Morbey. What an amazing building, from the cafe area open to the public but also used by staff and deafblind service users, through to the music suite, arts room, woodwork room etc. It is huge in there! All manner of areas such as the Children's section, the adults section, meeting/conference facilities, office section for Sense Scotland, office space shared with other charities and all manner of rooms with exciting functions. Art and music as a means of expression for and connecting with deafblind people was a real theme at the centre. I was lucky enough to be given a CD of accordian music put together by one of the service users in the recording studio and I really look forward to listening to that (will have to wait until I am somewhere with a CD player as unfortunately Lightning doesn't have one installed as standard...). There is so much going on at Touchbase that I am sure to have missed something, but you can have a look at http://www.sensescotland.org.uk/touchbase/index.php for more details.

Special thanks have to go to Gillian for being my driver guide to get to the hotel (thanks again to the reception team for sorting out somewhere for me to stay in Glasgow - I really appreciate it). She drove ahead with me following on the bike, and I realise it would have taken me at least 4 times as long to find it by myself.

Hot shower - oh oh oh me like. Followed by dinner at Sister's just opposite the Sandyford hotel. Suddenly realised that I have lost some of the strength and dexterity in my left hand - trying to negotiate my way around a plate with a fork was quite a challenge!! But the food was fantastic - thought about going for 3 courses but much to get ready for tomorrow so decided to head back, update the blog and then head for bed.

Looking forward to the cycle along Loch Lomond tomorrow - have been given some good tips for lunch stops which is always a good plan.

3 comments:

  1. It is fun to see my old stomping grounds through your "fresh" eyes. Until reading this I had never thought what it would be like to bicycle tour such a large and varied country. The weather must pose constant challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yvonne! Just got back home and catching up with your epic ride stories on the blog. Hope you have a fantastic day around Loch Lomond. At this rate you'll be writing your very own cycle guide around the UK with all the good tips for B&Bs and which nasty pot holes to be careful of. Hope the remaining Scottish days are dryer. Catch you soon in the south west. Cat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yvonne, gaun yersel' hen!

    Hope the weather clears up a bit but if it doesn't at least it'll keep the midgies at bay round the bonnie banks. Wishing I was there....
    Mary (Sense)

    ReplyDelete